Grilled Little Gems Salad
- I like to slice them in half and coat the split side with a combination of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle some coarse salt and freshly cracked pepper on the split side as well.
- Add some grated or crumbled Parmesan cheese.
- Place split side down on the grill for about 2 minutes to get a nice char.
- Remove from the grill and add your favorite dressing if you like or eat as is.
Little Gems lettuce is one of our favorite varieties to grow. These compact romaine heads are sweet, crisp and delicious! I had never heard of grilling lettuce before I began farming. I’ve been really amazed how good fresh food from the garden tastes and lasts compared to store bought produce, even organic. When you buy direct from the farmer you get all the nutrients before they break down in the transportation process. By the time most produce gets to the stores it’s been traveling for a while.
We grow a select few lettuces at Son of Something Farm along with our Spring and Spicy mix. Our farm is nestled along the Bear River and our micro-climate is well suited to growing sweet greens all through the Summer. Although it does take a little extra work during the hottest days of the year we have learned a few techniques to producing local, tasty greens.